Thursday, November 23, 2006

Are you ready for some football?

So it is the American Thanksgiving, this means football all afternoon. Does any league know how to promote itself better than the NFL? The football games really seem to overshadow the actual meaning of Thanksgiving.

I know J-Mac, a big football fan, normally takes this day off but can't this year due to some meetings. She is certainly a bigger fan than I am. My interest in the NFL goes as far as going to a Bills game once a year and entering a "pick-em" pool at work.

This is my third year being in a football pool and I still do not understand why I bother. I normally do well in the early part. My first two times, I actually won the first week. This year, I actually got all 15 games right in week #4 but lost out on the money as three other people also got all 15 right and one person picked the correct amount of total points for the Monday night game.

Anyway, as we are now in the second half of the season, I no longer have a strategy to win. I was working on the "picking the home team unless it is blatently obvious that the visitors will win" kind of theory. I gave up on that as no matter what theory I use, I end up with 8 or 9 correct. Not horrible, but never enough to win.

In recognition of the American Civil War (a subject I know embarrassingly little about), my fellow poolie Jayman and I are splitting our two ballots. I am picking the team that is most south while he is taking the team that is most north. Part of me was thinking I should take the north, you know, since the north won the civil war. But decided to go with the south..."THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN". If either of us win, we will split the monies. Though I am thinking we will both end up winning 8 of the games.

As I write this, John Fogerty is playing during the half time of the Lions/Dolphins game. If you missed it, be glad, the mix is horrible. All you can hear is his voice and his guitar. The mics are not picking up the rest of the band. He is going to be pissed when he watches this after.

Top 5 Creedance Clearwater Revival songs
1. Fortunate Son
2. Down On The Corner
3. Travelin' Band
4. Hey Tonight
5. Up Around The Bend

Though, considering Fogerty's career, he has every right to be bitter about things. Fantasy Records, the company that originally signed CCR still owns the distribution and publishing rights for all of their songs. Fantasy Records frontman Saul Zaentz had a lengthy legal battle with Fogerty since the 80s. Zaentz sued Forgerty for defamation of character for the songs from Forgerty's 1985 album centrefield that featured songs "Zanz Kant Danz", "The Old Man Down The Road" and "Mr. Greed". Zaentz felt these were shots at his personal character. The lawsuit went even further as Zaentz claimed that Fogerty's song "The Old Man Down The Road" lifted its music from Fogerty's CCR song "Run Through The Jungle". In other words, Zaentz was claiming that Fogerty was ripping off himself!!!!



The story finally ended when Zaentz sold his interest in Fantasy Records and Fogerty once again signed up with the record company soon after.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm, what about the whole civil war slavery thing...

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home