Thursday, March 13, 2008

They call the wind...Mariah

I can't believe I am writing about this...it was all I could come up with. I hadn't written in a while. Janet Jackson was scheduled as the musical guest for this week's Saturday Night Live. Theoretically, her first live appearance on television since the imfamous Nipple-gate at the Superbowl in 2004.

Well, Ms. Jackson has the flue and will not appear on Saturday Night Live. Her replacement, Mariah Carey. To me, this is like trying for Bryan Ferry and getting David Bowie instead. Not that I am a Carey music fan...but to me, Jackson's career has been in a downward slump since that Superbowl whereas Carey's career has actually been on an upswing.

In 2001, Carey almost killed her career by starring in a film called Glitter. A movie so bad that it routinely still ranks among critics' worst ever films. She won a Razzie award as worst female actress that year. On top of that, her record sales were slipping and there were whispers of her having voice problems.

In 2005, her comeback album The Emancipation of Mimi was released and it was a monster. It debuted at #1, was the highest selling album of the year, it went 6 times platinum, it had two #1 hits and ended up winning 10 grammy nominations. Needless to say, it was the biggest release of her career.

Not that she hasn't had a lot of success in her career. You would not believe some of the numbers I researched on wikipedia. She has had 17 #1 hits which ties her with ELVIS PRESLEY for most #1 hits by a solo artist. On top of that, Carey's singles have combined to top the charts for a total of 77 weeks. This is second only to Elvis' 79 weeks and ahead of the Beatles who were at 59 weeks.

Wow, I am really not that much of a fan. I have one song of hers on my IPOD and that's it.

Top 5 Mariah Carey songs.
1. Shake It Off



2. Without You



3. Bringin' On The Heartbreak



4. Vision Of Love



5. We Belong Together (only because the video makes me laugh & not in a good way)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home