Thursday, June 01, 2006

From Airplane to Starship to Nothing (or The Worst Things Ever To Happen To Music Vol. 2)


I recently watched The Family Stone with Sarah Jessica Parker and Luke Wilson. It's good but not as good as it could have been. It suffers from amateur-ish direction and a little too mannered of a performance from Parker.

Anyway, during the closing credits they played a song from the 70s called Count On Me. Trust me, you know it. I found out later that is was by Jefferson Starship. You know after their incarnation as a southern California psychadelic band called Jefferson Airplane and before their incarnation as just Starship who released that god awful song that can be considered one of the worst things to happen to music We Built This City.

I always liked Jefferson Airplane, their album Surrealistic Pillow with the songs White Rabbit and Somebody To Love is one of my favourite albums of all time. When they became Jefferson Starship, I lose interest. Though I always thought the song Miracles had nice harmonies and wicked sax solo.

Top 5 sax solos in rock.
1. Urgent-Foreigner
2. Young American-David Bowie
3. Brown Sugar-The Rolling Stones
4. Bad To The Bone-George Thorogood
5. Shotgun-Junior Walker and The All Stars

But hearing Count On Me as well, made me realize I should purchase a GH of Jefferson Starship. I got this at HMV yesterday along with a GH of Lynyrd Skynyrd (I know Cogs, I should have done that years ago) and The Moody Blues. They were all part of the 3 for $20 deal at the store so I figured it was worth it.Lynyrd Skynyrd is an interesting band as I was never really a fan. I think it was their symbolic use of the Union Jack flag that made me uncomfortable. I mean their big hit Sweet Home Alabama is good but their only other song I knew "Freebird" was terribly overplayed on classic rock stations. But when you listen to the lyrics of Sweet Home Alabama and realize that it is an answer to Neil Young's criticism of the politics of the American south in Southern Man that you realize Skynyrd is just a band proud of their southern heritage.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger theweescunner said...

The flag is not a union jack ...the flag is the "Southern Cross" which was made for the Southern or "Rebel Army" during the Civil War in the 1860's.

The Union Jack is the British Flag which represents the Union of Great Britain. The flag consists of three heraldic crosses.

The cross of St George, patron saint of England since the 1270's, is a red cross on a white ground. After James I succeeded to the throne, it was combined with the cross of St. Andrew in 1606.

The cross saltire of St Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, is a diagonal white cross on a blue ground.

The cross saltire of St Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, is a diagonal red cross on a white ground. This was combined with the previous Union Flag of St George and St Andrew, after the Act of Union of Ireland with England (and Wales) and Scotland on 1 January 1801, to create the Union Flag that has been flown ever since.

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the Union Flag. This is because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, the Principality of Wales by that time was already united with England and was no longer a separate principality.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Cogs said...

Oh my! Well, the british union did help support the Confederacy in the civil war - so they may has well have raised the Union Jack.

Speaking of Southern Cross, I would put that song in my top 3 CSNY songs with Carry On and Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

1:51 PM  
Blogger theweescunner said...

Ya, they helped the Rebel Army while all the time doing business with the North. THAT'S how you build an Empire!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home