Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The art of the martini


I spent yesterday afternoon discussing theories on the perfect martini. For those of you who are interested, my gin preference always goes to Bombay Sapphire. My perfect martini is a little labour intensive, first it starts with the glass. I prefer my martini with a lemon twist, not olives. I cut off a small peel from a lemon and wipe the inside of the glass with it.

Then deal with the liquid part of the drink. Pour 1/2 an ounce of vermouth into your martini shaker filled with ice. Shake this concoction to break up the ice then pour the liquid out down the drain. Yes, I know this is a bit of a waste but since vermouth costs less than $10 a bottle, it should not be a big deal. Then pour 2 generous ounces of gin into the shaker with that broken up ice. You then stir this mixture and gently pour into your martini glass.

I expoused this theory to Emo and his father-in-law last night. They both looked at me like I was crazy, but trust me, it works. Emo's mother-in-law helped my desire to drink a couple of martini ASAP by advising me that my weight had not got any better since the last time she saw me.

To help my mood, I mixed my martinis with some of the music of The Black Crowes. What ever happened to them? They had a decent first album that had a fun single called Jealous Again, a respectful cover of Otis Redding's Hard To Handle and my personal fave, the gospel inspired Seeing Things.

Their second album The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is like a nuclear blast as compared to their debut album. This second album comes off like a mix of the Rolling Stones, the Faces and the Allman Brothers. It was a huge leap forward as the guitars were louder, the use of the organ is so good it will make you cry and some really ballsy back up singing.

But to me, the band then disappeared. The fact that the lead singer Chris Robinson married Goldie Hawn's daughter Kate Hudson just plain disgusted me. I would like to end this blog by listing my fave Kate Hudson movies but I don't believe I have ever liked anything she has been in. Sooo....

Top 5 Black Crowes song
1. Sting Me
2. Remedy
3. Seeing Things
4. Thorn In My Pride
5. Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home