Friday, June 09, 2006

Waiting for tannens



I am not a huge wine drinker. Frankly, I only started over a year ago and that was only because it economically made sense. J-Mac is a wine drinker but can't finish a bottle every night (for obvious reasons). We used to end up throwing out wine because she would never finish it, it would sit around for days and end up being no good while I stuck with drinking beer or rye and gingers. I decided to jump on the wine bandwagon and from a monetary point of view, it has made sense. No wine ever went to waste.

As discussed in a previous blog entry, we drove down to the Niagara region a couple of weeks ago and went to a number of wineries. There is a lot to know about wine, and I have to admit, I have no freaking clue. There is too much to learn. What wine to drink with what food. What regions are good. What wine do you drink right away and what wine do you store as it will get better with age. How long do you let it breathe? The list goes on and on.

And the internet is no help when it comes to wine. Do you realize there are actual blogs dedicated just to wine. Here is one that seemed pretty good. But then again, what do I know. I am writing this after splitting a bottle of wine with J-Mac that was a bordeaux (or was it a cabernet?). We had it with chicken marinated in a mole sauce. Should we have had coronas instead?

With the upcoming summer, thoughts of music come to mind. Reggae sounds like summer more than any other music. And nothing says reggae like Bob Marley. Of course, Bob Marley's CD Legend is in everyone's CD collection which really takes away from the meaning of the music. If I hear Stir It Up or One Love one more time, I will lose my mind.

Top 5 Bob Marley songs1. Iron Lion Zion2. Redemption Song3. Buffalo Soldier4. Three Little Birds5. Simmer Down

It's funny that reggae has also been appropriated by people not of Jamaican descent. Early songs by the Police, The Tide Is High by Blondie and Led Zeppelin's D'yer M'aker have all taken advantage of that reggae style. The latest example is by, god help me, Paris Hilton. She actually has an album out and the lead single is Stars Are Blind which has that breezy reggae beat. I hate to say this, and J-Mac disagrees, but I think it is actually listenable. Many people have careers with voices worse than hers (hello Madonna, Paul Abdul, Jennifer Lopez). If you go to her official (and quite safe) website, the track plays as soon as you log on. As well, you can see the video for the song (still relatively safe). Though the footage does seem ripped off of Janet Jackson's video for Love Will Never Do.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh ...it is perhaps the 2nd best work that Ms. Hilton has done.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home