Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lefty is still all right with me


Having discussed yesterday about the sport event I didn't watch. I thought I would touch on a sport I did watch this past weekend. The US Open. The Masters and the British Open are events I prefer but the US Open holds a certain fascination for me. The reason is that the course is usually so difficult that every year, certain top players do not make the cut and the golfer who wins usually has a score closer to what I get on a good day. This just makes me feel like maybe I am not as bad as I think.

Of course, what everyone was talking about was how Mickelson lost it on the 18th hole. Yes, he had a one stroke lead and yes he should have played it safe. But he didn't, and I respect that. Like Ted Williams in 1941. Going into the final game of the season, his batting average was .400. Despite being offered the day off, he played both games of the double header going 6 for 8 and raising his average to .407. To this day, he is the last hitter to end a season with a batting average over .400. Like that copy guy says to Jerry Maguire after he gets his mission statement printed off, "That's how you become great, man. Hang your balls out there!"

Top 5 underrated lines from Jerry Maguire.
1. Jerry Maguire. "I will not rest until I have you holding a Coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial, starring you, broadcast during the Superbowl, in a game that you are winning, and I will not sleep until that happens. I'll give you fifteen minutes to call me back."
2. Jerry Maguire. "Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely embarassed yet, but you glimpse tomorrow's embarrassment?"
3. Rod Tidwell during an argument with Jerry where Jerry seems like he is about to lose it. "You are hanging on by a very thin thread and I dig that about you!"
4. Dorothy Boyd after her son asks her what's wrong as they are both sitting on a plane. "First class is what's wrong. It used to just be a better meal, now, it's a better life."
5. Chad the Nanny talking to Jerry outside Dorothy's house. He gives him a cassette and says "This... is Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Stockholm. 1963... two masters of freedom, playing in a time before their art was corrupted by a zillion cocktail lounge performers who destroyed the legacy of the only American artform -- JAZZ."

The worst choke in golf history, to me, is still Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters. He had a six stroke lead going into the final day. He shot a ridiculous 78 and lost to Nick Faldo by five strokes. Do that math in your head for a second and you see how badly he actually messed it up. It's a choke that still defines him to this day. My prediction right now is that he finishes second in the upcoming British Open. Second only because Tiger Woods will be on a mission at that time and should win it easily.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home