Tuesday, May 29, 2007

i don't want to be THAT guy

I don't want to be that guy. The BBQ guy. The guy who doesn't let you touch HIS bbq. The guy who obsesses over sauces and rubs. The guy who has a recipie for everything grilled. The guy who wears a BBQ apron and a utility belt filled with salt, pepper, a flipper, skewers and tongs. I can't be that guy. That guy needs a life. However, I am becoming that guy and I am not happy about it. Though, if you ever see me with that utility belt, shoot me.

I am not sure what guy I want to be. It seems, unbeknownst to me that I have become THAT guy who obsesses over golf. On Mondays at work, all of us golfers get together and talk about where we played over the weekend. (I played 4 Seasons in north Pickering, 14 of 18 holes involve water-I don't want to talk about).

But getting back to BBQ, I spent Sunday dealing with how to grill a salmon. Here is what I did. For 20 minutes, I marinated the salmon in half the juice of a lemon, half the juice of an orange and salt and pepper. I then created a rub with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of red chili pepper flakes, 1 diced clove of garlic and the zest from half an orange. After the marinating is done, I put the rub on, wrapped it in tin foil and put it on the grill. You'd think it would have been too spicey but all the citrus juices prevented it from being overpowering. I highly recommend it. But still, I am not THAT guy.

Top 5 Food Network shows
1. A Cook's Tour
2. Good Eats
3. Licence to Grill
4. The Thirsty Traveller
5. Iron Chef America

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home