Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tony Soprano (and David Chase)...you broke my heart





So with tempered expectations, I watched the series finale of The Sopranos.

I realize that this show is one of the most popular in the history of TV. Its groundbreaking nature has revolutionized the industy blah blah blah. But I have never loved it. I've liked it, but it never draws me in enough.

To me the problems with the show range from the oh-so numerous rip offs from The Godfather to the fact that not much really happens. Events occur and you think they will lead to something more dramatic but then they are just ignored. It builds up suspense every season but you never have the major payoffs that you feel should be coming.

Since the finale aired on Sunday night, it has been ripped by the fans and media alike. The only positive article I have seen about the show was the fact it outdrew the NBA playoff game. Even though the game was available in more homes than HBO.

Speaking of HBO, some people in the United States are trying to organize a boycott of that network because of the Sopranos finale. Considering what HBO offers, I don't think that this boycott will go very far.

SPOILER ALERT

Someone emailed me a theory that the ending is actually quite dramatic but subtle. I don't want to give it away for people who haven't seen it but the theory is that Tony actually gets killed in that last scene. Bobby Baccalieri told him earlier in the season something about being killed where he won't hear anything, he won't see anything...but everything will go black. This describes exactly what happened at the end of the show. Not sure I buy that theory...it is a bit of a cop out.

SPOILER ALERT END

For me, I think the ending was vague for one simple reason. Money. Leave it open so they can make a film. Show creator David Chase denies this...but we all know what really makes decisions for film and TV...the almighty dollar.

Though the one nice thing I can say about the final scene from Sunday's episode of The Sopranos was the great use of a Journey song.

Top 5 Journey Songs
1. Feeling That Way
2. Faithfully
3. Don't Stop Believin'
4. Any Way You Want It
5. Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home